Monday, October 10, 2011

A Shabby Chic Affair

Happy Monday everyone! How was your weekend? I'm sure everyone is all abuzz about this past weekend's festivities from all over the country, whether it be "Remnants of the Past" here in the West Coast or "Na Da Farm's" event over in the East Coast! I can't wait to see what everyone has been up to! As for me, well today I just want to share with you some pics of a little event that I was so excited to attend!


Last Thursday evening, I attended one of Rachel Ashwell's book signings here at her Southern Cali Shabby Chic Couture location in Santa Monica, CA! Let me just tell you that I was sooo excited to meet her!


It was a little crazy trying to get there because I had to pick up my kiddos and drop them off to the in-laws, then drive back to the westside, so I could attend this event with my sister since my hubby had to work late.



Needless to say that 2+ hours in traffic was a little stressful! Those of you who live here in Southern Cali will know that being stuck on the 405 AND the 101 traffic is no bueno! lol So by the time my sister and I arrived, we were more than an hour and a half late to the signing.


So the first thing I do is try to figure out if it's ok for her to sign my own copy of "Shabby Chic Interiors," as some places make you buy the book there to have it signed. The only problem with that was I had already pre-ordered her new book, "Shabby Chic Inspirations" via Amazon.com, but it was still in transit! :( So I took my other favorite book of hers {Shabby Chic Interiors}. By the way, I have a really FUNNY story to share at the end of this post regarding this situation... ;)


So I get there and everyone is mingling nicely. They are serving champagne, drinks, pastries, treats & such - while I was still quite frazzled! The ladies there told me that she can sign any of my own books and that it was ok to take pictures {had to ask to make sure}. Then I spot Rachel in her oh so charming and extremely lovely self, taking pics with fans. So I get in line excitedly, with my little ole book in hand.


And then finally, it's my turn!!! I chat with her for a bit and tell her that she has been an inspiration, and that "Shabby Chic Home" has really helped me embrace all most of the imperfections of our newly acquired "fixer-upper." She then asks me which books most influenced me, and I tell her without hesitation: Shabby Chic Home & Shabby Chic Interiors.


And there she is signing my book!!! :) She then proceeds to ask if I want to take a picture with her...well of course!!! She is just stunning in person - she is a woman who is elegant, graceful and oh so classy. Me, on the other hand...I was not looking my best! lol Frazzled as I was from the rush of trying to get there {the traffic, the rain, trying to find parking, then having to walk a few blocks}, I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this pic...but here I am with the queen of Shabby Chic! :)


After I take a pic with her, she tells me to relax and make myself at home, and to have some drinks or snacks to enjoy {sweet, isn't she?!?!}! So my sister {who by the way refuses to allow me to post pics of her on this blog, that's why I had to delete my other older post which featured a pic with her} and I grab ourselves a little bubbly and proceed to lounge on the comfy sofas.


There are quite a few to choose from...so I opt to sit on one side of the store. Then make my rounds to taking more pics of the cozy little place, as people move from one section to another to mingle. I took a bunch of pics, but please note that if they seem to be at funky angles - it's only because I was trying to take pictures so that I wouldn't have any people in the background. ;)



Sky's the limit in your type of eye-candy...I know I had to contain myself on my purchases there... :)

Doesn't this piece here look delicious!?!?! I love it!


Curtain call, anyone???



And do you love yourself some linens? Well, this store doesn't disappoint! :)



And they even have a darling nursery section for all you mommies to little ones!



And here we have some very, very vintage plates & such! Can you guess what exactly I bought from this shelf??? :)


They also have lovely table linens, sparkly accessories, candles, mercury glass votive holders, candlesticks, vintage flatware, plates, mugs, cafe au lait bowls, etc.!




Vintage prom dresses




A desk set & an inspirational board.




So many yummy goodiness to choose from! :)




And amongst all this fun, I met another fellow blogger! I heard someone call her by her name...and she was holding a camera in hand. Do you know who I may be talking about???


So in my usual quirky self, I ask if she was..."Dusty Lulu?!?!?" And sure enough, it was!!! Oh she is just the most darling & sweetest person! I tell her that I'm a fan of her blog and we chit-chat and laugh away! I love it when I get to meet another fellow blogger in person! :)




Ok now on to the "funny story" that I had mentioned earlier in this post. Well, the ladies at RASC were throwing a little raffle. And for some reason, I felt that I was gonna be a lucky little gal that night. So at 8pm, they draw out 3 names from a jar...and lo & behold, the 2nd name they call out is me!!! Yippee!!! So I get up to grab my prize, which is all wrapped up in white with ribbon. I knew it was a book, but why I didn't put "two & two" together to realize that I had won the NEW book, "Shabby Chic Inspirations," - I won't really know...a little too much bubbly, perhaps? Nah, I didn't even have half a paper cups worth! lol


So here I was bummed out that the book that I pre-ordered from Amazon.com hadn't arrived in time for the book signing, when I should have unwrapped the little goodie in my hands and have her just sign her new book right there!!! Oh no, instead the next day {Friday}, the book that I ordered from amazon.com arrives...only it comes a day too late! Then the aforementioned hits me like a ridiculous light bulb!!! Just makes me want to pinch myself! lol


So here I am above with my little loot...unaware that it's a book that RA could have signed! lol For some reason, I thought her older book was wrapped up in there {don't ask me why, the darn thing is "see-through!"}! :)

{at home with my Shabby Chic goodies}


Now I have TWO copies of "Shabby Chic Inspirations." Which leads me to mention that I plan on having my very first giveaway sometime soon {can you take a gander at what I might be giving away?!?!?}...so be sure to come back & visit and stay tuned for that! :) Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the pics of this event, as much as I enjoyed attending it!!! Until next time, enjoy your new week!!!


XO's,
Jessie

UPDATE: Please CLICK HERE to join my First Giveaway where you can enter to win a copy of Rachel Ashwell's latest book, "Shabby Chic Inspirations." {Giveaway ends 10.30.2011}

Sharing with:
A Beach Cottage
At The Picket Fence
Faded Charm
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Free Pretty Things For You
Life Made Lovely
Pink Saturday
Type A
Very Merry Vintage Style

40 comments:

awal.ny said...

It is great that you even get the chance to meet her and to be able to go to one of her stores. Thanks for taking lots of photos. I would just love to be able to visit her store. Thank you so much for such a wonderful comment.

Simply Me said...

OMG !!! I'm in Heaven when i see them photos... i'm so glad you posted pictures I have never been to a RA store. So for me when i get to see the photos i get so inspired! Thank you !!! How wonderful for you to win a book !!! It is my favorite of all books.. One day i will be able to visit a store i sure of it. For now i will just keep looking at all your photos you posted. I told my husband to saveup a lot of money for me so when i get to go to a store i can spend it!!!lol he wants to kill me ... Lovely photos and thank you again!!!

Simply Me said...

p.s You are so pretty !!!

Amy Chalmers said...

I loved seeing the store! What a fun post to read how it was for you to meet Rachel. I have never read a bad word about her! So glad to have found your blog, came over from Simply Me after I read your comment.

Fresh Vanilla For C said...

HI Jessie~
I love that store!!! She was my original inspiration!!!I wanted to go so badly, but there was no way with kids homework, sports etc. Bummer!!
There used to be one in Glendale which was much closer to me and then it closed...I was so sad. Hows the new book????

Looks like you had a blast! Did you end up buying anything???
xo
~Cheryl

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi friends!

Thank you for the lovely comments - I'm glad you enjoyed the pics!

@Tausha, you are too sweet! I'm happy the pics inspire you. Just know that your home is equally inspiring!!! :) And thank you for your kind comment about me!

@Amy, so glad you found me on here! I look forward to looking through your lovely blog!

@Alaina, I was sooo excited to see her - she's one of the sweetest and down to earth people that I've had the pleasure to meet! :)

@Cheryl, I almost missed this event because of my teenage son's football schedule, but luckily it worked out for me that night! I did buy some plates, linens & accessories. :)

Have a wonderful week everyone!

XO's,
Jessie

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What a fun event! Thanks so much for taking a bunch of pictures. They're wonderful! You look fabulous! I definitely caught the excitement!

SLR said...

i'm so happy you got to go the RA book signing! i wish she would come to chicago for a signing! your pics were awesome...i feel like i was there, but really wish i could have been...with you! you look super pretty in your pictures too :)

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Great story!!! and photos. so glad your braved the 405 at night for such a fun evening.

Connys Cottage said...

What a great place!I love it.

Greatings send you Conny

Town and Country Gals said...

Jessi,
What a lucky girl! Your photos of the store are amazing, so many gorgeous things! How exciting to get to meet her, what a treat! Looks like you had a blast and the hassel getting there was definitly worth it! When I lived out there (and was a lot younger) I used to drive from the OC to downtown LA every day to work, traffic was bad then but now....
Rebecca

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hello dear friends!

Thank you again for your kind comments, they are greatly appreciated. :)

@Jacqueline: it was an extremely exciting event & I was so happy to be a part of it!

@Stacey: oh I wish you could've been there with me...then again, wish I could've attended Na Da Farm's event with you! :) And thanks for the compliment, you are way too kind.

@Mary Ann: I'd brave the 405 & 101 again just to see her! :)

@Conny: Thanks for stopping by & sending over some greetings back to you too! :)

@Rebecca: Yes, it was a blast just to be there! And I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! :)

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to leave a comment - I enjoy each & every one. :) Have a great day!


XO's,
Jessie

Honey at 2805 said...

What a terrific place and great story! So happy you won her door prize!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I wish I lived closer so that I could have joined in all the fun. Well done on winning the book too! Thank you for all the photos - at least I could see it all through your eyes. God bless x

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Jessie, I just came across your site; and what a great blog you have!! So many pretty pictures! I am your newest follower; and I hope you will follow back! Blessings to you!!!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

You lucky lady! I loved drooling over all the photos you shared. My sister lives in LA and every year we go and visit and always go to Santa Monica and it wasn't until AFTER our visit this past June that I found out there was a RA store there! I am sooo going next summer and I can hardly wait. Gives me lots of time to save my $$$!

~Shanon

Melanie said...

Wow what a treat to meet Rachel Ashwell. I am absolutely loving the gorgeous lampshades in her store !

outjunking said...

That looks like a lovely store. I'm glad after all the time it took for you to get there you won something and to get a book signed. Way to go.
Lisa

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

That is sooooo exciting!

michele said...

what fun, jessie! she continues to be such an inspiration. thanks for stopping by so i could ooh and ahh over the photos. following.

michele

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Greetings everyone!

Thank you so much for stopping by & leaving me such kind comments. :) I do appreciate each & every one! I'm glad you have enjoyed the pics - it it was such a pleasure to meet RA! :)

Best,
Jessie

My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

Looks like you had a great time. Glad you liked my little cottage, thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog!

Your blog looks great...will follow.

xo
Sandy

A Shabby Moment in Time said...

Oh my goodness...I am so jealous! Lucky you to have not only been on hand for her event, but to actually meet Rachel in person. I'm sure you couldn't stop smiling for quite awhile! The store is even better than I imagined. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. (and for stopping by my blog)
Blessings & hugs,
Karen

High Street Cottage said...

Well I think I am in love with your blog! What a wonderful experience you had meeting Rachel, and her shop is so awesome! I hate living just a little too far away with work, these So. Cal events make it pretty hard for me to get over, but I just said to my husband how I should have taken the weekend for myself and gone. So happy you shared, next best thing to being there hehe.

stefanie said...

oh, sooooo lucky!!!!!

Jessica said...

Looks like you had an amazing time! Everything looks so cozy and beautiful!

abeachcottage said...

What a lovely time you had! and everything there is just gorgeous. Congrats with winning the book :) and thanks so much for dropping by and sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

beachcomber said...

thanks for sharing all this beauty!!
x

Old Paper Roses said...

Oh wow, if only I could walk through that store and meet Rachel Ashwell....
What a perfect day that must have been.
I'm sooooo jealous (lol).

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures!!

hugs from Holland,
Michelle

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh what a good day that must have been! Great photos! Thank you for sharing them with we pinkies. HPS!

Blessings,
Sandi

Cindy Adkins said...

What an exciting day for you!! So funny about the book, but now a lucky reader of your blog will win one! Thanks for sharing your evening with us!
Cindy

suesueb said...

What a wonderful looking store! I love the style of Shabby Chic and have her first book too. Did you buy the sugar bowl and pitcher? I would have loved to able to visit even with the traffic! So glad you won a prize for all your trouble!! Happy pink weekend!

ritajoy @harbourbreeze said...

Thank you for posting these amazing pictures and for telling this great story! And, by the way,I think you look amazing next to Miss Shabby Chic. If you hadn't told us, I would have never guessed that you were feeling frazzled!:)

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hello dear friends & visitors,

Thank you so much for stopping by to comment on this lovely evening of meeting RA! :)

@A Beach Cottage: It was a pleasure linking up to your party for the first time! Thank you once again for hosting. :)

@Sandy: I'm happy to come across your blog. I would not have found you had it not been for RA's latest book where I saw your lovely shabby cabin in the woods! :)

@Rita: Thank you for your kind words. I really was frazzled that evening! lol Glad it didn't show in the pic! :)

@To those visiting from Pink Saturday: Happy Pink Saturday to you all too!!! :)

To everyone else who enjoyed the pics - I truly enjoyed this evening, so it's a pleasure to share these images with you all! Thanks for visiting!

XOXO's,
Jessie

Olivia said...

Whoot! Whoot! That is sooooo cool and your pictures are amazing! I am in HEAVEN...so cool! Nice to meet you!
Hugs,
Olivia

Susie Jefferson said...

What a great story - and fabulous pictures. And how nice she'd pose for pix with you and was so natural and unstuffy.

What about sending that book on to her, remind her of the circumstances - and I bet she'd sign that one for you as well!

Happy Pink Saturday from the UK.

pinkkandy said...

Oh!Happy Day! Pink Day; that is..and late as usual ....I will spend most of the rest of this week-end skipping all over blog land...God Bless You All..and I mean really bless you!
Kandy

very merry vintage style said...

How fun--love all these photos! Thanks so much for linking up--hope you'll be back this week!
Mary

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Thanks again to everyone for dropping by my page & leaving a comment - it is greatly appreciated! :)


@Olivia: nice to meet you too! :)

@Susie & Kandy: Thank you so much - and HPS right back at you too!!! :)

@Mary: It was a pleasure linking up. Thank you kindly for hosting!


XO's,
Jessie

Elena Alice said...

Wow, I love your posts. I am a shabby chic addict and enjoyed perusing your blog for a bit for ideas!

http://elle-alice.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...